Saturday, September 10, 2011

most incredible.

Just had probably the most incredible night of my life in Peru.

I finally was able to make it to a church, and even better, a youth group. I walked past the gates of the church and felt like I was home. It was such a strange feeling. As if Holly was walking right beside me and we were just entering another church that she was going to sing at.

It was a huge church. Probably the most modern thing I have seen in Peru. ;-) I loved it. It reminded me so much of church in the United States. Everything was the same... except for the language. It was so awesome to be singing the same songs I have sang my entire life, but this time in Spanish. I found so much life in that church. I just couldn't stop thinking about how thankful I was to be there.

The pastor spoke about what signifies a "good christian." In the end, it came down to simply... you don't have to go to church every sunday... you don't have to know the entire bible from front to end... you don't have to be perfect. Just open up your bible, take in from God's word what He is telling you, and apply it to your life. No matter where you are... even if you can't find a church within a hundred miles, you can still find God.

It was so weird, you probably won't believe this, but tonight I understood every single thing the pastor said. It was as if every word I have ever learned in Lima, and in my life, he used. I can't describe what the feeling was. I guess I could say it was like when you're in your car and the radio is only giving you blurps of the song and then all of a sudden... everything is clear. yeah, i'd say it was like that. Every single word. I can't describe what it was like...

I have a friend here who is atheist. He saw that I wrote that I was going to the church at 530 on my facebook, so he showed up at my front door at five thirty.
Trust me, I was surprised. This definitely isn't some joke for Him... he really has been an atheist, but for some reason, he was at my front door today asking if he could go with me. So we went.

By the end of the night, I can't tell you that his mind was changed forever... but he went from thinking that Christianity was all about rules and sadness, to saying that he kinda actually enjoyed it. My friend India also went. Which blew my face out of the water. :-) Only because I freaking love her and couldn't believe her schedule allowed her to go.

All this goes to say, I for sure know that I am going to be a missionary for the rest of my life. Because tonight God confirmed in me that the missionary work I will do for Him... is wherever I am at. And the same is for you too. Whether He call you to Antartica? ;-) or to your neighbors house... that is where He has called you. It doesn't need to start with handing them a bible... It doesn't need to start with a track... only a "hello" and an interest in who they are will suffice. God can take it from there.

I can just feel the juices flowing. It's like I just want to bring Bob Lenz down right now, have a concert and give a bajillion people a hug just because I love them just the way the are.

I don't want to forget this moment. It is so evident to me right this instant how much God has me in His hand. And the same for you, even if you don't feel it right now... He is with you.

This is part of what we read tonight.

May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had, 6 so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. (Romans 15:5-6)

Blessings,

Lucas

No comments:

Post a Comment